Tuesday, June 7, 2011

James Carville Isn't On Twitter!

Don't Trust Social Media! Or anything/anyone else for that matter. Why? Well, as regards social media there are several reasons as it turns out but being fed and then possibly acting upon false information is the point behind this post. Maybe even a little identity theft as well if you want to look at it that way.


Example? I like James Carville's opinions but I haven't been over exposed to him, I don't fixate on any so called pundits in particular and prefer to keep an open mind by playing the field as I don't consider myself to be "right" or "left" on the political spectrum. I've watched Mr. Carville a little with Eliot Spitzer on CNN and sometimes I catch him on a Sunday morning doing one of the political talk shows. Always entertaining but I don't know the mans opinions well enough to pick him out of a crowd, unless he's being witheringly sarcastic ("am I a potted plant here?"). 


I have visited his official website a couple of times and just today spurred by the Anthony Weiner debacle I decided to find Mr. Carville on Twitter and maybe get a chuckle. I didn't put too much effort into it, just a Twitter search from my account which came up with one feed that simply listed the names of American servicemen that had been sent in by family and loved ones. One twat after another of names but it did link back to the official website which I was familiar with. This didn't sit well with what I thought I knew about the man but I had other things to do so with a disappointed shrug I moved on.


Then I was fortunate enough to catch Mr. Carville on CNN just hours ago, again with Eliot Spitzer in the Arena discussing the Weiner thing and he (Carville) made the comment that he did. not. use. Twitter and didn't really know or care what it was!


?


So I Googled "James Carville on Twitter" and came up with two more Twitter accounts purporting to be Mr. Carville. I suppose there are more but this is enough for me to make my point.


http://twitter.com/#!/jamescarville  2576 followers
http://twitter.com/#!/James_Carville  298 followers

So, there are at least 3990 people who think they are following James Carville, 298 of them who were apparently duped into sending him the names of servicemen and women to be listed on his Twitter feed. I would go out on a limb and suggest that none of these feeds belong to the real James Carville.

Now this shouldn't surprise anyone with even a smattering of knowledge as to how the Internet works as in the back of our minds we are all aware of how easy it is to set up a Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc account in someone else's name let alone actually gain access to an existing account simply by using the reset password option, no hacking required! It's one of the reasons I deleted my Facebook account. That and my total lack of friends.

So I wonder what kind of opinions and thoughts have been expressed on these feeds and whether they bear any resemblance to what the real James Carville would opine, and should I let him know? It's really none of my business as I'm sure he has people who should be looking out for that sort of thing so I'll just let it slide. And there's a reason for that.

I actually believed that Anthony Weiner had been set up by that shit Andrew Breitbart and that Weiner would eventually be vindicated. After all many well respected websites who know much more than I as to how things work on the intertubes had performed a forensic search of the data available and the consensus was that it was a set up.

Imagine our embarrassment. Sometimes I hate the Internet. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment