Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Pursuit of Justice in Latvia

Or: How To Protect Yourself in Latvia (When You Are Not a Liv (pure Latvian))

Tomorrow I travel to Tukums with my lawyer and long suffering wife. Once there I will again give statements to answer charges that I assaulted a two decade serial trespasser on my wife's land. Only because someone hired a sharp lawyer for me am I allowed to do this! Otherwise I would have never been aware of my rights under the law because in my view the system is tilted against people like my wife and I. Plus they had "roof" or krysha  and I did not. At that time. After living in Moscow for years I shouldn't have been surprised by the concept of roof but I thought Latvia was a member of the EU since 2004. Imagine my astonishment! But I guess corruption never goes away and just takes different forms in different realities.

As reported in a previous post on this blog this "assault" occurred on Sept 3 of this year. On that day I had a fight with a crazed and documented madman on my wife's private property, went to the hospital, got sewn up, had X-rays, purchased an arm sling at the nearest drug store and covered in blood so thoroughly I had to throw away my clothes, made a statement at the Tukums Region State Police station. That is where the system started to fail me, a non-citizen and mere holder of a Permanent Residence Permit and not a citizen resident of a small town with it's inbred politics and culture. 

Apparently, as my lawyer has since explained to me, you are supposed to file "two" statements, one describing the sequence of events and one outlining the compensation expected. I filed only the first statement because that is all I was told to do. This procedural transgression allowed the person who assaulted me to come back three months later and completely reverse the situation so that it was now "I" who was being charged with assault. This happened with some help from the inside, in my humble opinion. Please don't sue me very powerful Latvian Police Union. There is very little meat on my bones.

So tomorrow I get to re-start the process, supposedly. And then I will have another meeting with the Tukums Region State Police on the 27th of this month to decide whether the matter will be referred to the Prosecutors Office who will then decide whether it goes to court or not. I'm hoping for court. I'm ready to scream loud and long all the way to Brussels because it has cost us so much in blood and treasure. 

We don't live in Tukums. Every time they want a meeting we need to clear the entire day of activity and with our lawyer in tow travel to Tukums. It is expensive torture. And as I explained previously we need to have our docs translated and in hand. Because we are trying to keep everyone off balance and move swiftly my wife is picking up the latest package at the translation agency this evening after work. The day before we are scheduled to give statements as she is a witness.

The hilarious part in all of this if there can be one is that the female portion of the gruesome twosome who have assailed us as foreign trash for two decades now, well, the woman was born in Russia! And has falsely adopted the title of Baroness based on a fake history! Oh my!! The things you learn when you dig into public records. And the male member had a weapon (long rifle) and his old Militzia uniform confiscated after discharging his weapon in a residential area during a drinking binge. If that hadn't happened I suppose I could be dead now!

Stay tuned to this spot for more hilarity. You won't be disappointed.

Merry Christmas.


EDIT: I have just now received a request from my lawyer to make a spreadsheet for all our costs over the last two decades detailing the LVL >6,000 we have spent trying to protect my wife's land, for tomorrow. I'm good with XL but damn! See how this takes over your life!







No comments:

Post a Comment