Saturday, March 30, 2013

Valium Nation Moving From Blogger Platform?

Looking at it!

Blogger as a platform has consistently given me trouble. I have used the feedback option long ago to attempt resolving an issue with no reply and have just sent off another two requests;


  • Cannot choose "Don't Track Own Page Views" option.
  • Cannot add or delete Link List gadget. Cannot rename existing lists or edit links therein.
This means WordPress I suspect and after watching other bloggers trying to switch platforms and move data I despair at the coming loss of continuity.

Still it presents me with an opportunity, making lemonade as it were since my posting was undefined and lacked focus as I was initially trying to figure out the differences between platforms and how they integrate with other social media and became bogged down by inertia.

So maybe it will be a blessing in disguise. ;)






2 comments:

  1. I've been using WordPress since 2009. I haven't had enough experience with other platforms to make many comparisons, but I'm broadly satisfied with it.

    Strengths:

    - Good incoming link and search term reporting.

    - Good spam control (though spam filter requires checking, as legitimate comments sometimes end up there if they contain more than one web link)

    - Generally a better appearance than Blogger.

    - Ability to import images and videos is generally good.

    - Can schedule posts to appear at a later date/time. Handy option to have if timing counts, or to put a post on a time-delay in case I happen to later remember a point that I should have included.

    - Ability to automatically post links to new posts on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

    The Mixed:

    - No ability to sort blog roll by newest to oldest. Having a sorted blog roll gives some bloggers a traffic advantage. The benefit of not having such a blog roll is knowing that those who visit the blog are more likely to be actual readers, and not just passing through.

    Weaknesses:

    - No tracking of the domain that visitors are coming from (aside from Google, Facebook, etc.)

    - New layout requires taking a roundabout route to the Dashboard

    - No moderation express lane for trusted commentators. Either everything or nothing gets moderated.

    - Not as cool-looking as Tumblr (though the reviews I've heard from Tumblr suggest that the nice look of Tumblr sites comes at the cost of less flexibility in other areas).

    - Would be nice to have an embedded PDF viewer sometimes.

    - So-so ability to use custom HTML tags. Sometimes ignores them, or adds unwanted non-breaking spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your opinion Seven. I set up a WordPress account yesterday and I've been getting use to the interface and options. As you say it has a much cleaner and more professional look.

    I don't have the time to run two blogs though. So from what I've seen of the platform I'll probably make the switch next week when I've settled into the Moscow flat.

    ReplyDelete